Useful Contact Numbers

Call NHS 111

If you urgently need medical help or advice in a non-life threatening situation call the NHS on 111.

Call 999

Call 999 if someone is seriously ill or injured and their life is at risk.

Call 112 when in another European country

Calling the emergency number 112 works exactly like 999. The difference is that 112 will work on a mobile phone in other European countries. If you’re in the UK or on a European holiday, or you’re visiting the UK from a different European country, you can use this number if someone is seriously ill or injured and their life is at risk.

Visit A&E

Only go to the A&E in a genuine life-threatening emergency.

Urgent Care

Get help for minor injury or illness when it’s not possible for you to wait to see your GP.

Ask your pharmacist

If you need advice on a common or minor illness, then you can get this from your pharmacist

GP services

If you’re feeling unwell and it’s not an emergency, then make an appointment with your GP.

Mental health emergencies

There are numerous mental health charities you can contact to get advice on how to act in the case of a mental health crisis or acute emergency:

  • CALM: The Campaign Against Living Miserably – 0800 58 58 58
  • Anxiety UK – 03444 775 774
  • Mind - 0300 123 3393
  • Samaritans - 116 123
  • SANE - 0300 304 7000
  • The Mix (for under 25s) – 0808 808 4994
  • NHS 111
  • NHS online advice on dealing with a crisis or emergency

Dental emergency

Find out who to contact in case of a dental emergency:

If you have been looking for a dental practice but still can’t find a suitable one accepting NHS patients, then you can call the NHS England Customer Contact Centre on 0300 311 2233.

Stop smoking helpline

You can call NHS Smokefree on 0300 123 1044 for free help on quitting smoking from a trained expert adviser.

Other smoking-related helplines are available to contact including the following:

  • Quit Your Way Scotland (for anyone trying to stop smoking in Scotland) – 0800 84 84 84
  • British Lung Foundation (for advice about living with a lung condition) – 03000 030 555
  • Tommy’s Pregnancy Line (can provide advice on smoking during pregnancy) – 0800 0147 800

About support services and stop smoking aids

More support services available to contact

Help for drug addiction

You're entitled to NHS care if you need treatment for drug addiction and your GP is a good place to start. You can also call any of the following helplines:

  • Talk to Frank - 0300 123 6600
  • The Mix (for under 25s) – 0808 808 4994
  • Childline – 0800 1111

Getting help for drug addiction

Find local drug treatment services

Find support groups for those with drug problems at Narcotics Anonymous

Alcohol support

Call 0300 123 1110 for free to reach Drinkline, the national alcohol helpline, if you’re worried about your own or someone else’s drinking.

Other helplines for alcohol problems are available including the following:

  • Alcoholics Anonymous Great Britain - 0800 917 7650
  • Al-Anon (supports people affected by the drinking problems of someone else) - 0800 008 6811
  • National Association for Children of Alcoholics (NACOA) – 0800 358 3456
  • Alcohol Focus Scotland - 0141 572 6700
  • National Association for Foetal Alcohol Syndrome (NOFAS) - 020 8458 5951

Learn more about treatments for alcohol dependency

Search for alcohol support services in your area

Help for sexual health

You can call the national sexual health line on 0300 123 7123 if you’re looking to get tested for sexually transmitted infections (STIs).

Other helplines related to sexual health advice include the following:

  • British Pregnancy Advisory Service (bpas) – 03457 30 40 30
  • Switchboard: the LGBT+ helpline – 0300 330 0630
  • Terrence Higgins Trust (provide support and advice about HIV and sexual health) – 0808 802 1221

Find sexual health clinics near you

Find contraceptive services near you

More detailed sexual health advice for lesbian and bisexual women

More detailed sexual health advice for gay and bisexual men

Help for Diabetes

You can call the Diabetes UK on 0345 123 2399 charity group for specialist information and advice on all aspects of diabetes. If you’re in Scotland call 0141 212 8710 instead.

Help for Insomnia

If you are having trouble with the condition insomnia, then speaking to your GP is recommended or you can call 111 if you can’t speak to your GP.

Helplines available to people with insomnia include the following:

  • The Sleep Council – Freephone leaflet line: 0800 018 7923
  • British Snoring and Sleep Apnea Association – 01284 717688

Helplines for headaches, migraines and pain management

The following helplines can be reached by people looking for advice and support when dealing with headaches, migraines or other pain in their body:

  • OUCH UK (for support and guidance on Cluster Headaches) – 01646 651 979
  • National Migraine Centre - 0207 251 3322
  • Brain and Spine Foundation Helpline (run by neuroscience nurses) – 0808 808 1000
  • Pain Concern Helpline - 0300 123 0789
  • Action on Pain Helpline - 0345 6031593

Help for weight issues

For information and advice on weight issues, you can contact any of the following helplines:

  • HOOP (Helping Overcome Obesity Problems) – 0303 300 0314
  • National Centre for Eating Disorders – 0845 838 2040